BOLD STEP® Installation Instructions
for concrete stairs
- Electric or cordless drill/driver
- caulking gun
- chalk line
- hammer drill
- drill bits for hammer drill
- Step and Landing Treads
- 3/16" concrete screw (Tapcon)
- marking pen
Repair any damaged stair area. Remove any projections or obstructions. Remove loose dirt and debris. NOTE: SURFACE MUST BE FLAT!
If tread ends, risers, and/or stringers are to be repainted, it advisable to paint the surface prior to installing the BOLD STEP® Safety Treads.
Place all tools, materials and treads for installing on the bottom landing, of the flight to be installed.
Begin with the top stair or landing and work down.
- If clearance has been allowed at the ends of the treads, center one BOLD STEP® Safety Tread on the top stair and one on the bottom step. Strike the chalk line on one edge of the treads from the top and bottom tread to create your guide on all steps. All treads, when placed along the guide line will be centered.
- Push the BOLD STEP® Safety Tread back as far as it will go, place the top landing tread or treads in the proper location. Using the tread as a hole location template, carefully punch the location of each attachment hole.
- Using the hammer drill, drill each hole 1/4” deeper than the length of the screws furnished. Remove the dust created with the portable vacuum.
- Lay 1/4” bead of constructions adhesive on the underside of the tread being installed. Place the adhesive around each screw hole, the edges of the tread and in an up and down format across the bottom of the tread.
- If there is a large radius at the front nose of the existing tread, place one or two extra beads of caulk at the appropriate location.
- Screw the tread in place and install the rest of the treads in a similar fashion.
- If possible, allow the adhesive to cure for several hours before use.