BOLD STEP® Installation Instructions
for wood stairs
- Electric or cordless drill/driver
- chalk line
- caulking gun
- 3/32" drill bits
- sander with coarse discs or coarse belts
- Step and Landing Treads
- stainless steel wood screws
- marking pen
Repair any damaged or loose wood. Remove any projections or obstructions. IMPORTANT: GRIND STEP SURFACE TO FLAT CONDITION! Remove loose dirt and debris. Place all tools, materials and treads for installing on the bottom landing, of the flight to be installed.
Begin with the top stair or landing and work down.
- If clearance has been allowed at the ends of the treads, center one BOLD STEP® Safety Tread on the top stair and one on the bottom step. Strike the chalk line on one edge of the treads from the top and bottom tread to create your guide on all steps. All treads, when placed along the guide line will be centered.
- Push the BOLD STEP® Safety Tread back as far as it will go, place the top landing tread or treads in the proper location. Using the tread as a hole location template, carefully drill 3/32” pilot holes. The BOLD STEP® tread should only be used as a template for the stair on which it is being installed.
- After drilling, use the portable vacuum to remove any dust that was created.
- Lay 1/4” bead of construction adhesive on the underside of the tread being installed. Place the adhesive around each screw hole, the edges of the tread and in an up and down format across the bottom of the tread.
- If there is a large radius at the front nose of the existing tread, place one or two extra beads of caulk at the appropriate location.
- Screw the tread in place and install the rest of the treads in a similar fashion.
- If possible, allow the adhesive to cure for several hours before use.